Cardinals 2017 thread

All baseball and softball discussions go here.
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Cardinals 2017 thread

Postby cardsfan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:26 pm

LOL.....I've been busting to post but scared to death to jinx this good run. Z.....I'm blaming you if/when things turn sour again. :)

Sports can be so much fun. Just about the time you think you've figured things out, you remember you haven't. At least making September interesting and providing a bit of a distraction from football season.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 am

Just FYI - the official 'Message Board Rules' state that a post can only be considered to jinx a team for 24 hours. 13-4 Cards last night clears me a of any wrongdoing. Look it up!

I assume you've read a couple of the articles that summarize the numbers on what all of these kids who started the year at Memphis have done??? Incredible to have so many guys that weren't even in the discussion heading into the season carrying a team this deep into September.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm certainly enjoying this run and if nothing else, the Cards are giving me reason to turn in. I'm not really all in on the idea that the Cards are going to make the post sesaon. They were .500 12 games ago. This 10-2 run has come against Giants, Padres, Pirates & Reds. All of those are 10 or more under .500 and counting days to end of the season. They are winning games they have to win to make the games with Cubs and Brewers matter. But they still have to show they can actually beat those teams down the stretch here.

It's fun to see the young kids come along and I've consoled myself this year with the notion that they have talent in the pipeline so it's good to see some of them with our own eyes and actually doing well. I still think this team has holes going forward that are going to require bigger fix than just hoping for minor leaguers to fill them and I hope that Mo/Girsch take that challenge seriously this off-season.

As nice as it feels right now to see them playing well, we also have to realize the main thing the Cardinals really have going for them is that the Cubs have not played nearly as well as expected. Cards record on this date one year ago was 76-68. And they were 16 games out of first place...nobody was doing cartwheels at that point. Cards record today is exactly the same, 76-68. Only real difference is Cubs have kept us in the race so far.

At any rate, it's fun when they are winning and weekend games in Chicago matter. If nothing else, Cards and Brewers are making the Cubs sweat a bit this year.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

...and that'll just about do it...

Cards really haven't beaten very many good teams all year, when you look back at it...certainly wasn't a shocker that they couldn't beat the Cubs to stay in the race. Very interesting off-season on the way.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am

Z, I hope you are right about interesting off-season. I fear it will be under-whelming...."look at all these young guys we have, they'll be awesome this year.".

Saw this stat and added to my depression. Since 2015, we have played 17 series vs. the Cubs. Cards have won TWO, spilt 3, lost TWELVE.

That includes 2015 season when the Cards won 100 games and the division. We are not competitive with the Cubs really right now. This weekend emphasized that for anybody who doubted. Lots of changes needed. But some of the changes we need to make are occupied by contracts we likely can't move. (Marp, Fowler, Gyorko???)

Let's go Nats....I assume that's who the Cubs will draw in the first round of the playoffs.
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:09 am

And that's a wrap on another BLAH season for the Cardinals. Feels like a wasted season in a lot of ways. Looking at the players individually, it's really difficult for me to see that overall they really under-achieved all that much. Certainly, Piscotty's season is a disappointment and Matt Carpenter a bit below what you might expect. But Pham was a superstar out of nowhere really. DeJong was probably about what you hoped for from Diaz. Wong better than expected I think. So in total, I think they should have expected from the position players.

I hear a lot of people who express disappointment in Carlos, but jeez, he's 25 years old and had a very solid year at least with potential to get a lot better, so I don't really get that. Leake was great, then awful and then replaced by Weaver who was great, so overall, I think you got about what you would have hoped for from his spot. Lynn coming off Tommy John....be hard to hope for more from him. Wacha just being healthy all year exceeded my expectations and he showed flashes of his 'good old self' in spots this year. Wainwright was up and down...more down than up overall but looking back at his 2016 season, again, I'm just not sure it was reasonable to expect a lot more than that from him at this point.

The bullpen was, I think, a legit disappointment. Oh was terrific in 2016 and mostly unusable in 2017. That created a big hole at the back end and they really never filled that. Cecil was a disappointment. Siegrist was a disappointment. Rosenthal was pretty good when he pitched but he never seemed fully healthy and they weren't able to use him as heavily as they probably wanted.

But overall, I just think this was a roster that wasn't good enough to really seriously challenge a team as good as the Cubs. They did unload most of Leake's contract and I guess that opens some room for salary pickup this off-season. But I think they missed opportunity to turn some other players into something for the future (Lynn, for sure and possibly, Gyorko and Rosenthal if they'd acted quicker).

Interesting off-season. This roster needs serious upgrade. I'll remain skeptical of their willingness to really do that until I see it but will sure hope for that.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:41 am

Well, the roster upgrade is still to come...hopefully...but I have to say, the coaching staff moves have been a nice start to the off-season.

Jose Oquendo back to his old job just feels like a big deal. It was impossible to quantify his impact, but the results speak for themselves...overall poor defense and lapses in fundamentals really seemed to become a big issue almost immediately after he left his spot with the Major Leauge team. Willie McGee is one of my all-time favorite Cardinals, and adding him can't be a bad thing.

And now, Mike Maddux becomes the new pitching coach. I thought he did a great job in Milwaukee and Texas...and, although he had a TON of talent work with in Washington, their bullpen did kinda 'tank' this season...it still was a pretty good run. Seasoned coach, who has had a lot of success...and every player who's ever pitched for him seems to be raving about the hire.

Good start...but we still need some players to go along with the staff.

Return to “Baseball/Softball”