Mizzou basketball

All basketball discussions go here.
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Mizzou basketball

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

Mizzou has 11 scholarship players right now--so 2 unused scholarships due to transfer of Roberts and Harris. Robertson and Barnett are seniors so they are gone after this year and MPJ most likely not coming back, so that leaves 5 open spots to fill. And that assumes everybody else returns. It's impossible to imagine that Tilmon or Jontay could possibly think they are ready for NBA so surely they return. I assume Mitchell Smith intends to come back next year given that he's spending his red-shirt on the bench...if he were planning to transfer, would have made sense for him to go now.

Certainly always possible that somebody else leaves, but at this point I'm not sure who it would be.

We have 3 players signed for next year, none are point guards:
Torrence Watson is a 6'4" wing player who most thing has a chance to step in and contribute right away.....good shooter and we'll have minutes for a wing scorer with Barnett and Robertson both leaving.
Javon Pickett is also a 6'4" wing. Not generally considered to be at the level of player who will step in a play right away but you never know.
K J Santos who is a confounding recruit to most. He's a 6'7" small forward/wing. He originally went to Illinois-Chicago but transferred to a juco in Florida after one season. Then things took a turn.....he announced he was 'red-shirting' at the juco. The juco basically said he wasn't on the roster. So as far as anybody can tell, he's not involved with any team at all this year. I assume he'll have 3 years years of eligibility remaining and as a guy with some experience, maybe he can step in right away, but a strange story there.

But none of these guys can play point guard. I'd think Martin will likely be looking for a point guard who has a chance to step in a play right away......graduate transfer possibly or a juco kid if they can find one. There's a point guard recruit named Courtney Ramey in STL area who is a big time recruit and most think he's a kid who will play right away somewhere but most think he's eliminated Mizzou from consideration. It's possible they'll even try to take 2 point guards in this class now, I suppose.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the game at all Saturday...was following live stats and then read everything I could get my hands on about the game, Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

RE: the officiating, I don't remember ever reading as many different articles from as many different 'sets of eyes' who all agreed that it was terrible and that Mizzou got the short end of the stick. Everybody had the same opinion on Tilmon's foul trouble...which has become such a disturbing trend...and goes back to my comment the other day that his reputation seems to be an issue with all officials, and they are just calling stuff that they assume must be a foul...and of, course, everyone also thought the 3-pointer foul was totally bogus. Martin also had about as much to say about the officiating as we'll ever hear from him...including lamenting Tilmon's reputation vs. actual game action.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
Clevon Little
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Clevon Little » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm

So Harris decides to leave the team right after MPJ'S press conference that implies he probably will not be back this year. Not a surprise because MPJ was the only reason Harris came to MizZou in the first place. Don't be surprised if Tilman leaves as well at the end of the season if Porter announces he is going pro. I bet Martin wishes he still had CJ Roberts which would at least be another body
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I'll never say never on kids leaving early. I can't imagine at this point that Tilmon would think he'd be any sort of high draft pick given the year he's having so far.....he's got potential, but man he's a long, long ways from finished. From what I hear, he's content with Martin and Mizzou but frustrated with his inability to avoid foul trouble. Can't really think he'll want to sit a year as a transfer, so guess I'd be surprised if Tilmon isn't back. Heck, I'd probably be more concerned about Jontay leaving than Tilmon but don't really think that happens either.

That Roberts deal is strange to me. He was a 4-star recruit and supposed to be a legit ball handler, but apparently Martin didn't think he could help now at all. With the thinness we have at ball handling, if Martin thought he was ready to help he surely wouldn't have red-shirted him. Think Roberts has transferred to Texas Tech, right?

Bring on the next one.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 am

Some really good things from last night's win!

Jontay!!! - 15 pts, 10 rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals, and he was a part of GREAT defense on the SEC's leading scorer, who had a terrible night. One of the best things about Jontay's night, though, is the fact that he didn't settle for clanking 3's...I thought he really worked hard in the post and was very effective in there...and got to the FT line. Tilmon was able to stay on the floor, too...and Puryear played his butt off on the defensive end...and finally hit a couple of shots. Our posts totally outplayed perhaps the best big man in the conference!

5-20 from 3-point range...a night when we weren't hitting the 3's and we found a way to score anyway! Get it inside, as mentioned above, plus Geist got to the rim several times, which was very good. Barnett had a pretty significant off-night and we won the game.

All in all, IMO, not a good offensive night at all...but if you play tough defense, you can hang in. That's a good formula!!!

No breaks in the schedule, though...plenty of tough ones to come, starting at Arkansas this weekend.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am

Defense kept them in the game the first half.....as poor an offensive half as we've had this year but only down by 3. Red Panda performance at halftime clearly inspired them and they played one of their best halves of the season in the second half. As you say, Jontay was terrific. Man, that kid has a bunch of game. Just so aware of the game and really nothing he can't do pretty well already. When you think that he should be a senior at Tolton...wow.

I really wasn't sure we could win a game shooting 3's that poorly so it was great to see them get the ball to the rim. Geist played well. Puryear was brutal offensively most of the game but really stepped up in a stretch late where he scored 7 straight points that pushed the lead from 6 to 13 and pretty much ended it. Georgia is a different matchup....not a great team and certainly a team we need to beat at home. They are long and athletic but don't have the super-quick guards and don't pressure the ball much which really helps given our weakness handling the ball. Arkansas will present a different test but looking at some numbers, they really aren't forcing turnovers at a real high rate this year...so maybe we'll have a chance. But their style doesn't suit us.

A word on the officiating.........thank you. Finally a game where the refs didn't try to call every single contact they saw or didn't see. That game actually had some flow because they didn't call 50 fouls. Obviously, we are greatly helped with a game that is called a bit looser given our tendency to foul and our lack of depth. Georgia seemed to go 10 deep so I'm sure they'd have preferred a tighter game...get us in foul trouble.
ClearlyBetterThanYou
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ClearlyBetterThanYou » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 pm

MPJ to the NBA after having surgery and not playing since? That is one ballsy pick for a GM. Potential to be the next Greg Oden. If I had any $$$ I’d put it on him playing one year of college ball.
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 am

I hope you are right but I think I'd take the bet. Obviously, this all assumes that he'll check out physically.
ClearlyBetterThanYou
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ClearlyBetterThanYou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Damn the women's team is good. Play hard, shoot well, defend, can score inside. Sophie didn't score much last night and they just went to the next person. Fun to watch.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I watched most of the women's win over South Carolina, Sunday afternoon...'play hard' and 'defend' are definitely their MO!! I really enjoyed it!

When you've got the defending National Champion's head coach whining to the media and calling the league office because Missouri played 'dirty' defense...you know you're doing something right!!!

Return to “Basketball”