Mizzou basketball

All basketball discussions go here.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Mizzou basketball

Postby zsportsguy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Cardsfan - agreed! I got a kick out of Martin talking with Jon Sunvold on SEC Network after the game...and then the comments in this morning's articles 'mirrored' the same feeling. The answer to every question was basically, 'we pretty much sucked tonight'. Not in those words, of course, but Cuonzo was NOT AT ALL happy with anybody...and none of the players sounded happy about anything...which is a refreshing perspective to a 19-point win.

Lots of 'careless' plays in the first half, it seemed to me...trying to make passes that aren't there...not understanding who you're asking to catch the ball...maybe even underestimating the athleticism of the opponent. Miami was not a good team, but they were a very athletic bunch of kids with lots of quickness. Mizzou just didn't seem to have the intensity that they'll need against better opposition, which was one of the things I was kinda talking about in looking at these four 'easy wins'.

Some of the second half turnovers were at least a little more aggressive-looking...a bounce pass to Niko on a good cut to the basket that just didn't come up to where he could make the catch...Jontay getting double-teamed on the blocks and trying to FIRE the ball cross-court to a wide open Barnett outside the arc, great idea...but the pass sailed on him, into the 5th or 6th row...Harris made a great play to steal a rebound on the defensive end, but then got in way too big a hurry trying to push it up the floor and dribbled the ball off his foot for a double-dribble. He and Robertson both got called for traveling in the second half, on plays that did not look at all like traveling to me. I think the NCAA has put some sort of emphasis on travel calls, where the player shuffles his feet before making a move to the basket, but I didn't think that was the case on either of those plays.

Bottom line: it's more of the same with guard play...most of those TO's could be traced to Robertson, Harris and Phillips (I think 12 TO's combined)...work in progress.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

My seats are pretty much right across from the Mizzou bench and I got a kick out of watching MPJ's reactions a couple of times last night when Jontay made a bad play. That throw that he sailed over the bench, MPJ gave him quite a look, shook his head like a disappointed coach.

The point guards all make some baffling decisions.....I think there were two plays where they threw a pass at Niko's knees.......he just isn't athletic enough to go down and catch that.

There was one real impressive play by Tilmon last night......I think Harris threw the pass...it was a half court pass where Tilmon was in full stride behind the defense. He caught the ball just short of the basket and made the layup.....wasn't a thunder dunk or anything, but holy cow, there aren't many 7-footers that are able to catch that ball in full stride and make that shot with so little room to the basket. That kid has a chance to really be special if he sticks around a while, I think.

I still think I'd like to see them let Harris go for longer stretches in these lesser games. He makes a ton of mistakes and I know any coach will want to pull him out and "coach him" when he does. But I really do think he's got the most upside of any of the point guards....maybe that's just because I've seen less of him so we hope there's more upside there? He made a couple of really nice plays....the one where he sneaked around the rebounder and stole the ball in the far corner, then dribbled out of a double team and made a long pass (heck, that may have been the Tilmon play above, I'm not sure?). But he also makes a few brain-dead looking plays every game.

I'm still excited about the possibilities and I'm happy to hear that Martin was unhappy with that game last night.......there's a lot of stuff they will find on that film that needs correction. But always so much better to learn from a win than a loss.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am

8 wins before Christmas break...I assume we'll all take it and run!!!

It seemed like Saturday night's intensity, especially on the defensive end, was a notch or two above what we saw earlier in the week...Green Bay is a bad basketball team, and we did let them hang around for 10 minutes or so...would love to see this group start one of these games with a 25-10 run or something...but Green Bay hit some very tough shots early, that you knew they wouldn't continue to make...and, sure enough, they ended up shooting under 40%.

One really encouraging thing that keeps developing with this team is the difficult matchups we present. Saturday night, it was Geist who they just couldn't guard...he kept getting to the basket, and then, when they adjusted, started hitting outside. BIG night for him...and yet, he could come out this week and score 4 points and play 15 minutes. It seems like Mizzou is able to find somebody, every night, that their opponent just doesn't have a defensive answer for...some nights it takes longer than others to find those matchups...and sometimes it's harder than others to exploit it consistently...but, whether it's Tilmon, Jontay, Puryear, Barnett, Geist, or somebody off the bench...so far, I haven't seen anybody (other than the 'stinker' at Utah) find a way to shut everybody down.

Encouraging night for Harris, too, BTW...he was as 'in control' and 'smart' as he's looked in any game this year. Good to see that continued development.

8 wins before Christmas break...and we should get two more in the next 8 days. FUN!!!
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
BearcatByDay
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BearcatByDay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:50 pm

I really enjoyed getting to grab a game Saturday in lead up to my own finals week, thanks for a friend who got us free tickets.

Jontay did a lot of good things not on the stat sheet, and the same for Barnett. Those guys would have gotten 10+ assisted rebounds due to really good box outs. Giest had a career night, and I would agree that Harris looked really good directing traffic, with only one boneheaded play when Robinson went the opposite way Harris threw the ball... That's gonna happen from time to time.

SO glad I got to see them #FeedTheWolf to push us over 100 for the first time since 2012! fun atmosphere, and a great tribute to the football team at halftime, hoping all those football recruits who were in town got to grab a game and see what MIZZOU nation is all about.
Football is football and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference.
Robert Griffin III
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I thought Harris was the biggest bright spot Saturday. That kid has a gear that's really fast when he gets going. Very young and still finding his way but you can see Coach Martin constantly encouraging him to GO when he gets the ball. He took a couple of mid-range jumpers with confidence too early on Saturday, but his game is going to be going hard up the floor and penetrating to the bucket. It's nice to have multiple options. Robertson had been one of most consistent scorers early in the year but had an off night Saturday. Geist picked up the slack there. Green Bay pretty much just wanted to go fast, shoot quick and I'm not sure we didn't get caught up in that pace at times but even though they aren't a good team, I think it's useful to see that style a bit early.

Hopefully we can get THREE more wins before break.....be nice to get on on Illinois too. Greedy....
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

cardsfan wrote:Hopefully we can get THREE more wins before break.....be nice to get on on Illinois too. Greedy....

Oh...don't get me wrong...I'm greedy too!!! I just assumed Christmas break at Mizzou starts before the Illinois game. It's next week, I believe...

The other thing I'm seeing from Harris recently is those quick hands on defense...he can just pick your pocket in a heartbeat. REALLY disruptive 'one-man press' at times.

BCBD - don't want to hijack this thread, but did you happen to catch Justin Pitt's 30-point half at Northwest the other night? I honestly don't think I've ever seen a 5-9 kid ever dominate a game like that...even a high school game...let alone college ball, on the floor with a half dozen 6-6 to 6-10 guys out there. He came pretty close to doing the same thing at Warrensburg yesterday. What a player!!!!
BearcatByDay
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BearcatByDay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Z,

I lived down the hall from him my freshman year, and that kid has been a special talent since walking onto campus. Some would argue he should have been the conference player of the year his sophomore year, along with winning last year and presumably this year. This team isn't quite the high energy team last year was but then again, its gonna get real next week when they play Lincoln Memorial, a team they played in the semifinals last year.
Football is football and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference.
Robert Griffin III

Return to “Basketball”