Mizzou - what do we think?

All football discussions go here.
Snapper
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Mizzou - what do we think?

Postby Snapper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 am

The Dooley hire makes me nervous, but at this point I choose to believe in Odom. He did something that lit a fire under these kids to roll off that winning streak. I think he is who he is until he proves otherwise. I am excited about this recruiting class, and what next season brings. No way Lock's arrogance leads him to the NFL. Even the most confident have to look at what is in front of them. I bet he stays. And, I bet 10-11 wins from this team next year. Then again, I don't gamble much.......
Snap
"Get knocked down 6 times, get up 7!!!!!
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am

Snapper, if you are willing to bet on 11 wins, I'd probably be willing to take that one. : )

I'm with you........I'll think the best until he proves otherwise. When Pinkle was the coach, fans whined because his assistants never left.....stale, old, no good because nobody else wants to hire them. Now Odom is having huge turnover with assistants and we are nervous about that. My constant state as a fan is nervous, I guess.

Sounds like A J Ofodile will be the new 10th assistant at Mizzou. No official announcement on that so don't know what position group he will coach. He's been on the staff since Odom arrived........director of recruiting, I think. Ofodile played tight end at MIzzou, was assistant coach under Odom at Rock Bridge and then replaced Odom as head coach at Rock Bridge. Most thought that the 10th assistant (which is a new position created by NCAA for the coming season) would be a defensive coach....think we have 5 offensive assistants now and 4 defensive ones. But mostly Ofodile's job will be recruiter, I suppose. Most think very highly of him in that capacity.

There was some disappointment when Ofodile's son Alex, a star WR at Rock Bridge, chose to go to Oregon instead of staying home. That was before Ofodile joined the Mizzou staff.
bamafanbyday
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bamafanbyday » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Lock is coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby zsportsguy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Clearly the right decision...but easy for me to say.

I wasn't exactly sure how to take Lock's comments about Dooley and 'playing under a new scheme that will help him prepare for the NFL'. I hope Dooley doesn't come in and totally 'blow up' a good thing. His entire history has been more pro-style, less spread, less shotgun, etc....so I guess we shouldn't be surprised if it's a completely different look.

I guess good players should be able to make any system 'go'. We'll see.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Postby cardsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Lots of strange stuff around this I think. Some of the 'insiders' seem to think that Lock was very close to actually going even with his evaluation. More than one thinks he'd have left if Huepel had stayed, which seems odd given the success he had in Huepel's system this last season.

I'm not really smart enough about the X's and O's to understand all that stuff but I know there are a lot of people who think the proliferation of spread offenses in college have impacted NFL in a bad way....less QB's ready to play coming from college. And maybe that's true but as long as I've been alive, there's always been a shortage of QB's in the NFL. I'd say the notion that NFL teams continually try to play rookie QB's is a bigger problem. They draft QB's too high, which causes them to pay them too much money and then feel pressure to rush them into action.

I'm not a Chiefs fan but I do think that what they did last year with Mahomes has chance to pay big dividends down the road. Draft a QB high who they really like. Let him learn for a year in practice and observing before being thrown to the fire. No guarantee he'll be successful of course, but I think his chances of success are much better than if he'd been thrown out there this season.

Return to “Football”