Cool Father's Day gift!

This area is for random topics not related to sports.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Cool Father's Day gift!

Postby zsportsguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 am

Not sure how many of you pay any attention to the 'random topics' forum...but wanted to share...

My Father's Day gift this year is meeting up with both of my boys for tomorrow's practice round for the U.S. Open Golf Championship in Erin Hills, Wisconsin! Looking forward to the three of us spending the day on the golf course together. Wish it wasn't 6 1/2 hours on the road this afternoon and another 6 1/2 back home on Thursday.

I'm really anxious to see the course! I've spent some time on their website and watched all of the hole flyovers on usopen.com, and it is really a totally unique-looking layout. There are absolutely no trees...so I'm taking extra sunscreen...and there's a chance of strong storms up there tomorrow afternoon, so...I guess an umbrella, too.

Should be fun! I've managed to get to a couple of tournaments with actual PGA players over the years...but I've never been to an official PGA event (or practice round)...and certainly never a U.S. Open.
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck
cardsfan
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Cool Father's Day gift!

Postby cardsfan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Z--Apparently not many pay attention to random topics forum...I just happened to notice this today. So, how was this? I bet the course was amazing.

I have been to one practice round for a PGA event...that was for a major even....PGA Championship at Bellerive CC in STL back in 1992. The practice round was a fun experience. PGC is going to be back at Bellerive in 2018.

A couple years after the PGA, I actually got the chance to play Bellerive CC. Friend of a friend knew a member and we got to play. That was an amazing and humbling experience. They had probably 7 different tees on each hole and as I recall we played about the middle set. My game was not (and still is not) up for the challenge of a course like that, even playing forward tees. The member would point out where on several holes for the PGA, they had actually built new tees even further back than the regular back tees. Just incredible how far those guy hit the ball back then even. And those guys are even longer today.

Hope the weather held out and you had a great experience there.
zsportsguy
Staff 2
Staff 2

Re: Cool Father's Day gift!

Postby zsportsguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am

The whole thing was a blast!! The boys and I have been talking about Bellerive next August for the PGA. They want to get tickets for an early round...I'd just as soon do a practice round. Tickets are cheaper and easier to get...there's less people on the course, and it's a LOT easier to jump from hole to hole to hole and get really good looks at multiple groups, without worrying about what you're missing somewhere else (and whether or not you can find a spot to see anything).
"George Steinbrenner's yacht was a beautiful thing to to observe...with all thirty oars working in unison" - Jack Buck

Return to “Random Topics”